Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The power of a porta potty.

Week 5, Run 2: 6.37 mi in 60 min, n/i cd.

Today was my first long run (I plan on doing another on Friday... maybe.) this week, and I was pleasantly surprised with the weather when I stepped through my front door this morning. The sky was completely clear and blue, but there was a nice breeze and it was about 70 degrees and not humid. Nice, I know! Last time I did my run I forgot to check what time I left and so I sort of estimated my run time. This time I took my cellphone and left it in my mailbox so I could see exactly when I left and returned! I'm so clever, I know.

Of course, the first mile felt great. Then I realized I had to pee. Not horribly, but I was only 10 minutes into what I assumed would be an hour-long run. Actually, it's pretty amazing this hasn't happened to me before-- wait, it has, at the gym where there are bathrooms. There are no public restrooms that would appreciate my sweaty-self on the dirty streets of Philadelphia, so I guess I thought I'd just run as far as I could and then take it from there.

Well, bless you Philadelphia. You put porta-potties on the Schuylkill river trail.

However, they're disgusting.

They didn't smell, though, (are they magic? they will filled with goodies) so I just closed my eyes and did not touch anything but the toilet paper. They were exactly at my turnaround point, so I did my business and set on home.

The rest of my run was difficult. Whenever I reach 4 miles, my body starts to say, "Stop!" and I really have to push myself to go on. I don't listen to music when I run because I like to think about random crap, but this always backfires when the random crap becomes a little devil on my shoulder telling me to stop. Luckily the angel on the other shoulder is apparently much larger and more powerful than the devil, because I made it to the end without stopping.

I think I will try to enjoy this beautiful weather today...

1 comment:

SueWho said...

congrats on your run! it's nice and cool weather down here in Maryland too but I still did my workout inside (mainly because it was 5:00 a.m., but also because I'm not ready to start running outside in the real world yet).